Sunday, April 25, 2010

Coupons -- They'll Save You Money and Make You Laugh

I've been clipping coupons since last August and, let me tell you, it has changed my life. With the help of a fabulous website, Southern Savers, I have learned how to stretch my budget farther than I ever could have imagined. I cut my weekly grocery bills by at least half (sometimes more) and my shopping goal is always to save at least as much as I spend. On several shopping trips, my total savings have actually exceeded my expenditures. If you ever see me gleefully dancing my way out of Publix, you can bet I just had one of those really good shopping trips. Anyway......

Before last August, I never looked through the coupon inserts. I didn't think it was worth it. In fact, I hardly ever read a hard copy of the newspaper. You can read all the articles online, so why buy the paper? I had no idea I was missing out on so much. Not only have coupons saved me money, but skimming through those inserts never fails to make me laugh.

Looking through the inserts, you'll find all kinds of money-saving coupons for all kinds of useful products; but, sprinkled throughout, you'll also find advertisements. Ads for clothes, shoes, baby dolls, jewelry, and strange-looking undergarments...for women and men.

Take for instance, the man girdle. No, the ad doesn't refer to it as a "man girdle," but there's no denying, that's what it is. The "Men's Slimming Shaper flattens your stomach and your whole upper body with no effort." It also makes your back fat disappear. "Smoothes your back for a leaner appearance -- without bulges!" And the best part? It "looks like a normal undershirt!" Each of these statements, combined with the before and after cartoon drawings (not to mention, the product itself) make me laugh out loud. I asked Heath if he wanted one. He declined. But, if I've peaked your interest, you can head over to their website (fourcorners.com) to place your order.

And here's one for the ladies: The "'LIPO' Tummy Shaper" Not only will this shaper smooth out your bulges and enhance your bustline, but "your friends will swear you've had liposuction." Yes. That's just what I want my friends to think -- that I've had liposuction. This shaper does even more than make you look skinny. It actually makes you skinny with "hundreds of bio ceramic dots woven into the fabric for 'far infrared weight loss!" This is truly amazing. Like the man girdle, this ad also has the unbelievable, but "true," before and after cartoon drawings. One look at these images and you'll be sold. Go ahead. Banish the bulge and fake a liposuction surgery with this "Tummy Shaper." You know you want to! This website also has several other products worth taking a laugh at look at.


The one that got me rolling today was the ad for the gingham zip-front patio dress (pictured above). "The perfect dress for spring and summer no matter what the occasion." Yes, if you are staying home with all the doors closed and the shades rolled down. I started picturing myself wearing one of these out and about, running errands, going to the grocery store, taking the kids to the park, going to church, maybe even a July 4th cookout. I pictured other people wearing them too. The images in my head just got funnier and funnier. This is definitely the perfect summer dress. By adding a few of these to your wardrobe, you can actually save yourself some money because you'll have no need to purchase the "Tummy Shaper." All joking aside, if you ever see me in one of these dresses, go ahead and stage an intervention. I may not be the most fashionable person around, but if I'm wearing one of these, obviously any fashion sense I did have, was flushed down the toilet. I'm sorry to say this particular item cannot be purchased online (hence, the picture of the ad).

1 comment:

Jo!Beth said...

Love it. Thanks for opening my eyes to new and better things. I hope I have time to order that perfect dress for my San Francisco trip!