Thursday, November 4, 2010

Two is the Magic Number

According to our pediatrician, there are certain foods children should avoid until a certain age. One of those foods is peanut butter. Doctors recommend children shy away from peanut butter until they reach the age of two years old. Jacob didn't have his first taste of peanut butter until a few days after his second birthday and I planned on following the same rule with Annabelle; but, with an active peanut butter eating two year old around, the rule becomes slightly more difficult to enforce. I know Annabelle has eaten peanut butter cookie crumbs dropped on the floor by her big brother and she also got into a bag of roasted peanuts once. She had several whole peanuts (shells and all) crammed into her mouth before I could reach her to stop the madness. Thank goodness, she never showed any signs of an allergic reaction. Despite these occurrences, I still waited until her second birthday to let her officially have her first taste of peanut butter.

The "first taste" was fairly uneventful. She ate it off the spoon, but didn't beg for more. I'm just glad she likes it. At least now I have another EASY lunch option to add to our menu. Annabelle, welcome to the delightfully delicious world of peanut butter!

Hmmmm...let me close my eyes and concentrate on what this stuff tastes like.

I think I like it.


Yeah, I like it! But, I like to play with this spoon even more!!

The other day, I overheard Jacob and Annabelle playing in the living room. They had arranged the big red blocks into a square and were sitting inside. I asked Jacob what they were doing and he said he and Annabelle were at their vacation house. "Do you want to come to our vacation house?" he asked. Before joining them inside, I ran to get the camera. When I returned, Jacob had apparently turned into a rap artist...or something. Check out his poses. Maybe he was pretending to be on an episode of CRIBS. After all, he was in his vacation house!

After they left their vacation home, they headed over to the bookshelf for a little reading time. I videoed them from around the corner, but Annabelle soon spotted me and turned on the "cheese."

I love these moments -- when they are actually playing together...and being nice to one another. No hitting. No slapping. No yelling. No biting. No kicking. Just having fun. I love those two little munchkins!!

No comments: