Thursday, February 10, 2011

Honest Deception

As I walked through the door of the children's building at church last night, I was greeted by a very happy four year old. "Mommy," he said. "I am not going to tell you I had a treat tonight in my Cubbies class because when I get home I want to eat one of those pretzel things." Smooth, Jacob. Very smooth. That's what I call honest deception.

Earlier that evening, Erika and I handed out valentine treats to all the preschool choir kids. Jacob helped me make said treats: chocolate dipped pretzel rods with sprinkles. We told the kids they were not allowed to eat the pretzels until they had permission from their parents. They all excitedly threw them in their bags and headed out the door to Awana, where they received (and apparently ate) even more valentine goodies. I asked Jacob what Valentine's Day is all about. His answer? "Oh...it's when you hand out lots of treats and people give you candy and stuff." Well, Jacob, that seems about right.

Jacob had his CC (Classical Conversations) Valentine's Day party on Tuesday. Of course, the kids exchanged valentines and Jacob could hardly wait to pass his out. Since Jacob is a drummer, I thought it would be cute to create some type of drum valentine card. Here's what I came up with:



He signed his name on each card and wrote his classmates' names. I was proud of him. It was a great handwriting exercise and Jacob didn't even realize he was "doing school." :) We attached the cards to a pair of "drumsticks" (chocolate-dipped pretzel rods) and voila! We had the perfect "Jacob" valentine.
Annabelle exchanged valentines as well. For hers, we filled sandwich bags with Teddy Grahams and attached a card that read, "You're a beary special friend." I can't take credit for this idea. I saw it in a magazine and thought it was adorable. Annabelle seemed excited about it too.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Such cute valentine card ideas!!! I can't wait to do stuff like this with my kids- I get so excited reading your blog and thinking of all the fun kid projects to come!!!