Thursday, April 7, 2011

Running

I am not a runner. Never have been. And I think I'm pretty safe in saying...I never will be. Waaaaaay back when, before Jacob and Annabelle came along, I pretended to be a runner. My husband was a runner. Why couldn't I be one too? Then, we could run together. Now wouldn't that be fun? I went to the gym 4-5 days a week, hopped on the treadmill and ran for as long as my legs could go, or until all the good "running songs" from my playlist had finished playing. Anything by Beyonce always helped me pick up the pace. But even with my best playlist, full of Beyonce and 90's hip hop music, the most I ever ran was just over five miles...and that was on a treadmill. No matter how long I ran, no matter how many days I ran, no matter how good (or bad) I felt after I ran, I can't say I ever enjoyed it. It was never fun, which brings me back to my original statement: I am not a runner...and I am perfectly happy with this truth. Besides, I can think of a million other forms of exercise that I do find fun (i.e. having dance parties with my four and two year old children). :)

BUT, just because I know I am not a runner, doesn't mean I don't ever do it. Ok, so I hardly ever run, but I do give it a try every now and then when I am feeling extra energetic or when I notice I'm having to dance just to get my jeans on...or when there are thousands of other runners (or people who are pretending to be) running alongside me like last weekend during the Cooper River Bridge Run.

I love the CRBR. It's so much fun -- all the people, the energy, the excitement. I love being a part of such a huge event, runner or not. I've done it several times now, always participating as a walker or walker/runner. For me, that's why it's fun. I used to say, "Next year, I am going to run the whole thing." I've stopped saying that. If I were to actually run over that bridge, believe me, I would not be having fun. For my husband, it's just the opposite. If Heath participates, he runs. He challenges himself, trying to beat his time from the year before. That's what makes it fun for him. To each his own. Two years ago, he didn't feel like he was in good enough shape to beat any of his past race times, so we walked the bridge together (along with JoBeth and David) pushing the double stroller. He said he had fun, but I knew it was killing him not to be running the race. Later that day, he confessed those very feelings.

This year, he ran. And I walked...and ran a little. Heath's finish time was just a couple seconds shy of being his best ever. My finish time wasn't so bad for a walker, but boy, was I feeling it at the finish line. Exercise hasn't exactly been a priority lately. Long gone are those days of hitting the gym several days a week. A 10k over a bridge was exactly what I needed to get in gear and start moving. It almost inspired me to take up running again. Maybe train for another big race. Nah. Excuse me while I go crank up the music and dance with my kids. :)

No comments: