Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Boy Genius

Headed to the End of the Year Celebration


Last August, if someone would have asked me if Jacob was going to be able to memorize all the facts involved with Classical Conversations, my honest answer would have been , "No way." I thought it was great that he would get so much exposure to history, math, science, fine arts, etc... If he could actually memorize all the facts, great; but, if not, I would be fine with that too. I didn't know what to expect. I quickly discovered that any expectations I may (or may not) have had would be completely blown out of the water. I guess I was selling my four year old short. Jacob has done incredibly well this year and I couldn't be more pleased with CC.

At the end of March, he recited the entire sixth chapter of Ephesians to the CC director and earned the title of Bible Memory Master. I am so proud of him!! I wasn't in the room when he did this, but was told he did a fantastic job and didn't make one single mistake. He has really worked hard this year; although, I'm not sure he would call it"work." To him, reviewing his memory work is fun. He still begs to do it. I thought maybe after the first couple weeks of school, the newness would wear off and he wouldn't think it was so much fun anymore. Nope. He loves it even more today because we have so much more material to cover. The boy is a marvel.

Last night, he received a certificate for completing Foundations Cycle 2 of Classical Conversations. He will begin cycle 3 in the fall. He also received a certificate and a pin for achieving Bible Memory Master. He recited the verses during the awards program and received a standing ovation. Yeah, I admit it. I was proud. I still am. I'm also amazed every time I hear him recite those verses. How does he do that?




Even though he's through with CC for now, he isn't through with school. We'll continue to have regular homeschool days until the end of this month. This week, Jacob is learning to tell time. He is beginning to understand hours and minutes and is becoming more familiar with the clock itself. Fun.

He still reads all the time. He can't get enough of it. He absolutely loves books. In the afternoons, while Annabelle takes a nap, Jacob has rest time. Sometimes he sleeps. Sometimes he doesn't. The other day I told him, "Jacob, you can play a game on your Leapster during rest time if you'd like to." He replied, "No thanks. I think I just want to read my Bible." And sure enough, that's what he did. He came out of his room a while later and said, "Mommy, I read the WHOLE Old Testament and I started on the New Testament, but it was really A LOT of words." Before you start to doubt my story (I mean, really...the WHOLE Old Testament?) I should tell you about his Bible. It's a preschool Bible with illustrated Bible stories. Each story is usually no more than a couple short paragraphs. So, yes, he did actually read the WHOLE Old Testament. :)

Jacob also is a puzzle whiz. He enjoys puzzles and especially likes his United States puzzle. It's one of those giant floor puzzles. He's done it so many times, it only takes him a matter of seconds to complete it. Yet, he still does it over and over and over again. The pieces are shaped like the states, and he is becoming quite familiar with each of them. At the dinner table one night he held up a bite of his food and said, "Hey, look! This looks like Nevodio!" I looked at the piece of food on his fork (I don't remember what he was eating) and said, "Nevodio? What is Nevodio?" He answered, " Nevodio. The state, like on my United States puzzle." I looked a little harder at the food. It was shaped like Nevada. "Do you mean Nevada?" I asked. "Yeah," he said. "It looks like Nevada!" He may not remember all the correct names of the states, but he sure knows their shapes!

1 comment:

Monica Wilkinson said...

Jacob did a great job! And, it was fun to see you all last night - have a great week! Monica