Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Week-Long Birthday

I love birthdays. They're so much fun. I admit, I'm not particularly fond of the growing older part, but birthdays are a great excuse to eat as much cake as you want (or in my case, cake AND pumpkin spice doughnuts) because.....on your birthday (and everyday during that week) all food is fat and calorie-free.

If only that were true.

I celebrated my birthday last week. No, not just one day last week. ALL of last week. It was a good week. I started out by baking myself chocolate cupcakes. On my actual birthday, Heath came home with a birthday cake. Then, I topped off the week-long celebration with several Krispy Kreme pumpkin spice doughnuts. I'll say it again...it was a good week. However, whoever told me that all food is fat and calorie-free during your birthday week was obviously misinformed. I'm pretty sure I'm one doughnut away from having to lie down to zip up my jeans. I see a date with my dvd player and Jillian Michaels in my near future.

Birthdays have always been a big deal in my family -- full of fun and surprises -- always a party, sometimes big, sometimes small; always a cake; always candles; always friends and family around to help celebrate. Birthdays are great and definitely something to look forward to.
This year, the morning of my birthday, I awoke to a little voice saying, "Happy birthday, Mommy!" Jacob walked into the bedroom, sat down on the bed beside me and handed me a card. On the front of the card, he had written, "Mommy." I was actually impressed with his handwriting. Before I opened the card, he sang Happy Birthday to me. What a great way to wake up! Later, when I walked into Annabelle's room to get her out of bed, Jacob instructed her to say, "Happy birthday, Mommy!" She obliged and it was the sweetest thing. I love my children.

Heath planned to surprise me that evening by bringing home a birthday cake, but he made one little mistake. He told Jacob.
Jacob: "Daddy is going to stop by a bakery on his way home and pick up a cake for you!"
Me: "Oh, he is?!?! Was that supposed to be a surprise?"
Jacob: "Yes. Daddy said, 'If you tell her, then it won't be a surprise.'" (brief pause) "I guess it isn't a surprise."
Me: "No, I guess it isn't" :)

Oh, well. It's the thought that counts, right? Besides, I was still surprised...just a little earlier than Heath planned. He also invited Erika over for cake that night. That would have been a surpise, except he gave in and told me. I love my husband.

Jacob normally has class on Tuesdays, but last week was fall break, so he didn't have school on my birthday. Instead, one of the moms organized a playdate at a neighborhood pool / playground. All the kids had a blast. Jacob and Annabelle certainly were not exceptions.

Playing in the fountains was the highlight of their day.
Can you believe it? It's October and the kids were still able to swim in the pool and play in the fountains -- one of the perks to living in this part of the country.

Annabelle loves to slide.



While Annabelle climbed up and down the playground equipment and ran around like the crazy little girl she is, her brother was busy pretending to be an engineer, taking several of his friends on train rides.



The weather was perfect. It was a fabulous day to be outside -- cool in the morning, warm in the afternoon. A great day for a birthday. And when we finally decided to head home, Jacob and Annabelle both took nice, long naps. I couldn't have asked for more. :)

No comments: