Saturday, December 18, 2010

Beautiful Annabelle

We sat on the floor in her room, playing...just the two of us. Jacob hadn't yet awoken from his nap. Annabelle reached over and grabbed her baby doll's sippy cup. "Baby dink! (Baby wants a drink)" she said, as she held it up to the doll. She then changed her baby's diaper and placed her in the stroller after grabbing the diaper bag and throwing it over the stroller handle. Annabelle pushed the stroller around her tiny room for a few minutes, then came to a sudden stop. She climbed up into the rocking chair and said, "wok, wok (rock, rock)." I repeated her words to let her know she was understood. She looked at me and in the sweetest little voice, replied, "Sing...beeful...Adhewl (Sing Beautiful Annabelle)." My heart melted.

That's our song -- Beautiful Annabelle. The morning after she was born, she cried and cried. I held her tightly in my arms and rocked her as best I could while sitting in a hospital bed. Not sure of what else to do, I made up a little melody and began to sing.

Beautiful, beautiful Annabelle.
Beautiful, beautiful baby.
Beautiful, beautiful Annabelle.
You're so perfect to me.

I love you beautiful Annabelle.
I love you beautiful baby.
I love you beautiful Annabelle.
You're so perfect to me.

No, she didn't stop crying instantly, but a few short moments later, she settled down. I've been singing that song to her ever since. It's part of our bedtime routine. Each night, before she goes to sleep, Annabelle sits in my lap, sucking her thumb and clenching Minnie Mouse's leg in her little hand. We rock for a while and I sing a few songs, always ending with Beautiful Annabelle.

It makes me happy to know that song is her favorite out of all the songs she's ever heard me sing. And I love that she, now, specifically requests it. Yes, I certainly do love you, Beautiful Annabelle and these are moments I will cherish forever.

No comments: