Thursday, June 16, 2011

So This Is What It Looks Like

It was a beautiful, sunny, breezy day in June. June 8th to be exact. I stood in the doorway of the church where I was raised, my dad by my side, waiting for a cue to walk in. I was wearing the most gorgeous dress I have ever owned. True to form, I was calm and collected on the outside; a bundle of nerves on the inside, praying that I would hold it together during the ceremony. Praying that I wouldn't trip over my dress. Praying that everything would go perfectly, just as planned. Daddy walked me down the aisle; I joined Heath at the altar, and that afternoon, in front of God and a multitude of family and friends, Heath and I said, "I do" beginning our journey into wedded bliss.

Now, fast forward NINE years later **insert sound effect of fast forward button on a VCR from the 80's**. Ok. So it hasn't always been wedded bliss. Everyone knows marriage can be tough at times. Just like anything in life, marriage has its hills and valleys, its ups and downs. But after being married for nine years, I can tell you, the ups far outweigh the downs. :)

So this is what marriage (our marriage) looks like after nine years: We have a house...and a mortgage; two kids; Heath is still with the same company he worked for just after he graduated from college; I am a stay-at-home mom who is homeschooling (and who would have ever thought that back in 2002??); I still irritate Heath with my "clothes mountains" and my less than perfect organizational and cleaning skills; BUT, we're happy and we still love each other. That's really saying something. Heath, thank you for loving me and putting up with my craziness for nine years. I don't know how you do it. Really. I don't. :)

Nine years ago, after the vows were exchanged, the cake was cut, and the party was over, I began praying, "Please, God, help me to be the wife you want me to be." This is still my prayer today (and it will always be); although, I've added "and mother."

To celebrate our ninth anniversary, Heath and I spent the weekend in Charleston, where we got engaged...sans children. We had spent one night away from them before, but never an entire weekend. It was wonderful. Of course, I love my children, but it was nice to have a little "us" time. With kids, every trip, every outing, every thing is always about them. Right or wrong, our world tends to revolve around our children. With a two year old and a four year old, that's just the way it goes...I guess.

After a morning carriage tour, we spent all of Saturday afternoon walking the historic streets, enjoying the freedom of not pushing a stroller, chasing a toddler, or having to break up a petty argument. Aaaaaaaahhhh. Now that was bliss.

Things I love about Charleston:

We didn't stay here. I just thought the window box was pretty. :)

No comments: