Monday, July 25, 2011

VBS 2011

Jacob loves VBS music. Jacob loves VBS. But until this year, he had never actually attended VBS. At our church, the youngest VBS age group is four years old. Jacob could not wait.

Jacob is fascinated with the Statue of Liberty. He even has a book about it that he reads all the time. So, this year's New York themed VBS, Big Apple Adventure, was perfect for him. He thought it was so cool that there was a Statue of Liberty at church!

I've gotta say, I loved the New York theme. It was so much fun -- so much to work with and so many decorating ideas. More importantly, all the kids seemed to love it just as much as I did. Of course, Jacob especially enjoyed the music.




Annabelle spent the week in the nursery, but don't tell her that. She thinks she went to VBS too. She wore her "I ♥ NY" shirt and proudly told people that was her VBS shirt. She even got to make a few of the crafts that the older kids made during the week. And of course, she knows all the music.

One of the things I love about the VBS music is the Bible verses are in the songs. So, if the kids learn the songs, they also memorize the scripture. Jacob can now add Romans 10:17 and John 3:16 to his list. Annabelle knows them pretty well too.

It was definitely a busy week, but very fun...for all of us. I had a super class of first graders this year. They were all so well-behaved and inquisitive. They listened and followed instructions , which made for an even greater week.

Back in June, Jacob attended a sports camp at another local church. When I dropped him off the first morning, I realized this is what it would be like if we weren't homeschooling -- Annabelle and I dropping Jacob off at school, then heading home or to run errands, etc... I have to say, it felt a little odd at first having only one child around, but it was nice to have some Annabelle time. I'm sure she enjoyed it too. We kept busy having tea parties, playing with baby dolls and stuffed animals, reading all HER books, coloring, etc... We even went to the store where she was able to drive the race car buggy all by herself with no big brother to aggravate her. She enjoyed her "mommy and me" time, as did I, but she was happy to sit down at the table and eat lunch with Jacob after we picked him up from sports camp.



Did you spot him?

The first day, Jacob was a little hesitant when he realized I was dropping him off...alone. Annabelle wasn't going to be down the hall in another room. I wasn't going to be down the hall in another room. But, he was fine. I knew he would be. When I picked him up at 12:15 PM, he already couldn't wait to go back the next day. Throughout the week he learned lots of new songs, played "really cool games" and memorized Hebrews 12:1-2, one of my favorites: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God." Powerful words to live by.

No comments: