Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Just a Glimpse. Just Enough.

I saw God tonight. Just a glimpse. As I drove over the bridge and looked across the still, calm water, my eyes were drawn upward to the sky. A sky painted with large purple clouds. The glowing clouds were set against a magnificent display of colors -- bright orange, yellow, deep pink, fading into light blue and gradually getting darker as my eyes moved farther and farther away from the sun. Gorgeous. Breathtaking. Incredible. Amazing. I was almost speechless. At that moment, Hallelujah, by Heather Williams came on the radio. What began as just a typical ride home from church, turned into a sort of worship service. As I gazed into God's beautiful sunset -- His masterpiece -- I was reminded how awesome and powerful, how great and mighty, He truly is. "For the earth is the Lord's and everything in it." 1 Corinthians 10:26. The sky is so vast, stretching as far as our human eyes can see. Yet, God holds the universe in the palm of His hand. He is ever present, looking after His creation. His children. This earth is His. We are His. And He loves us more than we could ever possibly imagine.

As I continued to drive, I heard a little voice coming from the backseat: "Yook at all the wainbows!" Without me even saying a word, Annabelle noticed the wonder of God's creation. She was taken with all the colors in the sky. So was Jacob. "Wow! Mommy! The sky is so many colors! It DOES look like a rainbow!" We took that opportunity to thank God for his beautiful creation, then we talked about how amazing God is and how He is the one true God -- Ruler over all, Creator of everything.

A few minutes later, we had to make a pit stop as I noticed the fuel gauge flirting dangerously close to the big E. When we got back on the highway, just that quickly, the beautiful colors had faded. Night time was settling in and the sky grew darker and darker. Evenso, the kids couldn't stop talking about how pretty the sky was and I couldn't stop thinking about it.

It was just a glimpse. Just a few short moments. But it was all I needed -- all I needed to remind me how small I am and how big my God is. God shows himself to us all the time -- in a sunset, in our children, in our friends, family, in a song. The point is, we should always be looking...always be focused on Him and Him alone. Have you seen God lately?

No comments: