Saturday, January 7, 2012

Christmastime was here...

And just like that....it's over.  Christmas 2011 is in the books.  The gifts have been opened, the decorations put away, and the Christmas tree has been smooshed back into its box which is now held together by almost an entire roll of duct tape.  The radio stations have gone back to their regular playlists -- no more fa la la la la or chestnuts roasting on an open fire.  No more I'm dreaming of a white Christmas or silent night.  No more Bing Crosby or Nat King Cole.  No more Hallmark Christmas movies.  I just might go through withdrawal.  I haven't watched so much TV since, well...last Christmas.   

While the holidays might be over, there are still a few Christmas remnants around our house.  Our snack jar is filled with Christmas goodies -- M&M's, peppermint patties, candy canes, etc...  The kids are still coloring in Christmas coloring books.  Annabelle still sings her jazzy scat version of Frosty the Snowman and Jacob still walks around doing the human beatbox to "Do You Hear What I Hear."  I can't get the Christmas songs out of my head either.  I'll admit, I'm still singing them too.  Another Christmas "leftover" around here -- a few extra pounds.  I baked enough cookies, brownies, and cakes this year to realize I could never work in a bakery.  It's quite possible that I ate more than I gave away.  Not a good thing.  I gained the "holiday five."  Well, in all honesty, it could be more than five.  I'm too afraid to face the truth on the scale.  My jeans have told me enough already.  Thank goodness for a new year and a new resolution to get back to my long lost friend -- exercise. 

___________________________________________

The week before Christmas, Erika, the kids, and I went to see the gingerbread village at the Westin in Savannah.  I thought Jacob and Annabelle might enjoy seeing all the "candy houses."  There were some really great ones on display.  I was almost inspired to try one of my own.  Maybe next year.  We stuck to cookies this year.  That was quite enough.

 

Surprisingly, Annabelle didn't try to eat any of the houses!  Hooray!


 

They did like the gingerbread houses, but their favorite part of the day was riding the ferry across the river.  Boats are fun.  :)

Christmas Eve
We spent Christmas Eve day with Papa and Grandma, Uncle Phil, Aunt Shelli, and Grazie.  The kids were super excited about their presents. 
 

Jacob, is that for meeee???

LEGOOOOOOOOS!!!  IT'S THE MOBILE POLICE UNIT!!!  JUST WHAT I WANTED!!!

So.  many.  presents. 


The dress-up trunk was, without a doubt, Annabelle's favorite gift.  She loves to play dress-up, so she was excited about the princess clothes and jewelry, but she loved the trunk even more.  She likes to get inside and close the lid.  Yes, there are holes in the side so she can breathe.  She likes this trunk so much, on Christmas morning, she carried it down the hall with her to see what Santa had put under our tree.  She calls it her treasure chest.  If you ask her about her trunk, she says, "I dont have a trunk.  Only elephants have trunks."   

Grazie got squeaky Christmas lights!


Jacob was excited about his new electric guitar.  It's just like Daddy's!


When we returned home that evening, Heath and I tried to calm the kids down as much as possible.  I heard a knock at the door and I thought it might be a neighbor.  Nope.  Surprise!  It was Papa, Nana, and Grandpapa!  I didn't have a clue that they were coming.  I had actually spoken with them several times that day and never suspected a thing.  It was so nice to have them there and the element of surprise made it even more fun! 

The kids put their Advent books together that they had been coloring, page by page, all month.  We all sat down in Jacob's room while Heath read the Christmas story from one of the books.  After that, it was time for bed, but not before setting out a plate of cookies and a glass of milk for Santa (and carrots for the reindeer...we can't forget the reindeer, can we?).  Heath tracked Santa one last time on his phone and saw that he was travelling through South America. (You serious, Clark?)  Next stop -- North America!  Better get to sleep!   

While we they were sleeping, Santa paid us a visit.  He ate all the cookies, drank all the milk, and gave the carrots to the reindeer.  And of course, on his way out, he left a few surprises under our tree. 



Side note re: Santa's cookies ---  Jacob, Annabelle, and I put on our aprons and made sugar cookies.  We used a recipe printed in the back of a book we had been reading, The Gift of the Christmas Cookie.  They didn't turn out so well.  They looked pretty.  We used a set of nativity cookie cutters, so we could show Santa why we celebrate Christmas.  Heath tried the first one.  "Ummm...Paula, is it supposed to be like this?" he asked.  "Like what?" I replied.  "It's like...gum."  Oops.  Maybe I hadn't baked them long enough.  I left the next batch in the oven for a few minutes longer.  Again, I let Heath be the taste-tester.  "Paula, I can't even bite this," he said.  "I think it might break a tooth.  It's like a brick."  Oops.  Maybe I left that second batch in a little too long.  Needless to say, our cookies weren't great, but Santa ate them anyway.  I'm not sure he enjoyed them, but he ate them.  :)

No comments: