Tuesday, March 6, 2012

That's Not On My List

How long is your "to do" list?  Mine is long and ever growing.  I have all sorts of tasks to be done -- finish painting the living room, paint the kitchen, go to the grocery store, get better organized (that's monumental), decide what to cook for dinner, vacuum, clean the bathrooms, mop the floor, try out all those super cool pinterest ideas, etc...etc..etc...you know...the usual stuff.  But, I can tell you, one thing not on my list -- surgery. 

I went in for a regular doctor visit and came out with a scheduled surgery.  Just a little unforeseen bump in the road.  I was instantly reminded, I am weak, but HE is strong.

It was just an outpatient surgery, but still...it was surgery.  I would check in at the hospital before daylight and be home by mid-morning.  That's not so bad, right?  Still, it was surgery.  And it was not on my calendar.  Reluctantly, I penciled it in.

I think God throws these little trials at us for a reason.  Just when things seem to be going right, just when you think you have everything under control, He steps in and says, "No, you don't; but I do."  Life's trials bring us back to true dependence on God.  What else can we do, but trust Him, recognize His almighty power, and let go of the reigns.

The night before surgery, I explained to Jacob and Annabelle that I had to go to the hospital the next morning and that Nana would be coming over to stay with them until I returned.  They were both excited about Nana coming over.  Neither one of them seemed to care about my hospital visit...which was fine.  Of course, Jacob has a one track LEGO mind and the word "hospital" made him think of LEGO city.  "Mommy," he said.  "I need to get the LEGO ambulance because I don't have it yet and I'd really like to play with it........."  All I could do was laugh. 

So, I had surgery the next morning.  The anasthesia made me sick, so I ended up staying at the hospital a couple extra hours.  That wasn't on my list either.  I wasn't aware anasthesia can cause severe motion sickness.  Ugh.  But, other than that, all went well.

When Heath and I returned home later that afternoon, I went straight to bed.  When I finally ventured out of my bedroom and into the living room, my kids had two very different reactions.  Annabelle came over and sat next to me on the couch.  As she gently rubbed my arm, she said, "Mommy, I love you.  I hope you feel better."  To be so crazy at times, she is such a sweet-spirited, precious little girl.  She remained by my side for a while asking me lots of questions about why I was sick.  Then my mom joined us on the couch.  Immediately, Jacob said, "Nana, you better not sit too close to Mommy.  You might get what she's got!" 

It's been about a week and a half since this little incident and I am happy to report, I am doing and feeling fine and according to my doctor, as far as these things go, I ended up with the "best-case scenario."  Whew.  Praise God from whom all blessings flow........

While surgery was not on my "to do" list, I realize God had His hand in it.  He has His hand in everything.  I spent a lot of time meditating on this verse: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6  Easier said than done; especially if you are a first-class worrier like I am.  But life is so much easier when you can put this verse into action.  So.  much.  easier.  And not just with the big things, but with the small things.  With everything.

No comments: