Friday, January 4, 2013

Funny Girl

Annabelle was frantically searching through the lower kitchen cabinet with her new Boo doll (the little girl from Monster's Inc.) laying on the floor beside her.  "What are you doing?" I asked.  Without looking up, Annabelle quickly answered, "I'm looking for a bowl for Boo's throw up!!"  Apparently, the doll was feeling sick.

I never know what to expect from that girl.  She makes me laugh.  The other night, she walked into the room and told Heath, "It's time to rock the house!"  We're still wondering where she learned that phrase.  And she's so thoughtful.  A couple days ago, as she was eating her sandwich, she let me know that she wasn't going to eat her crusts because she thought we should give them to the people in India who don't have any food.

She wanted a magic wand for Christmas.  Not a toy one, mind you, but a REAL, working, magic wand. She made this declaration while sitting on Santa's knee.  I thought, "Ok...a magic wand...that's doable."  It wasn't until several days later that I realized she wasn't talking about a toy.  We were sitting on the floor in her room playing with dolls when she said, "Santa is going to bring me a magic wand because I asked  him."  "Oh, really," I said.  I looked around her room and grabbed a little light-up toy she got from Disney on Ice.  "But, isn't this kind of like a magic wand?" I asked, waving it around.  "You can wave it around and it even lights up!"  She looked at me like I was crazy.  "That is NOT a magic wand, Mommy!" she replied.  "It does NOT turn people into things."  And that's when it hit me.  She didn't want a toy.  She wanted a real magic wand.  Oh, boy.  I had to think fast.  "But this IS a real magic wand.  Watch this...what do you want to be?"  "A pink piggie, Mommy!" she said.  (You have to understand, the girl loves pigs.)  I waved the light-up toy in the air, tapped it gently on her head and made a little chime sound.  "Well, hello little piggie!  Aren't you cute?!"  Trying to be as convincing as possible, I patted her on the head and hoped her imagination would follow my lead.  Annabelle looked up at me, unamused.  She felt her face, then looked down at her clothes.  "I am NOT a piggie, Mommy!"  Alright.  Plan B.  I tried to break it to her gently.  "Well, Annabelle, I think only fairies have magic wands."  Of course, she had a very quick response.  "Fairies AND princesses, and I AM A PRINCESS, Mommy!" On to Plan C...whatever that was.

Christmas morning, Annabelle opened TWO magic wands from Santa.  I watched and waited.  As I suspected, she was disappointed with these toys.  Enter Plan C.  "Well, Santa and his elves make toys.  So, I'm sure he had his elves make these toy wands especially for you.  Since they only make toys, I don't think they could bring real magic wands."  "Oh" was all she said as she turned around waving her wands through the air, pretending to be a princess.  It was that easy.  I love her.

I guess it'll do.  

dreaming of REAL magic wands...

No comments: