Friday, January 4, 2013

Sick Days


Jacob had a fever a week before Christmas.  It only lasted for a day.  He lost his voice the next day, but seemed to be on the mend by the third day, except for a nagging cough.  Then, on Christmas morning, Annabelle began to lose her voice.  She had a fever, too. Her temperature went up to 104.5, but by the next morning, it was back down to normal.  I figured she had the same virus Jacob had earlier.  I took her to the doctor since we were supposed to be travelling over the weekend.  It turned out she had a horrible double ear infection.  Poor thing.  She never complained about her ears.  She never said anything hurt.  I never would have known had I not taken her to the doctor.  Later that night, Jacob had a fever again - 102.  His temperature was still 102 when he woke up the next morning, so we went back to the doctor.  Just a virus -- no ear infection, but he did have a touch of bronchitis.  The doctor put him on the same antibiotic as Annabelle.  That night, his fever went up to 105.6.  I got scared and called the doctor.  He told me he had seen temperatures as high as 106 and that Jacob was going to be fine.  I trusted him, but it was still a little unnerving to see 105.6 on the thermometer screen.  His fever did eventually go down, but stayed between 101 - 102 for another day before returning to normal.

Today, they're both feeling much better.  They still have a cough, but that's to be expected.  Those coughs seem to settle in to stay...for weeks.  But, I'm not complaining.  I'll take the coughing over a 105.6 degree fever!

No comments: