Thursday, September 18, 2008

Bundle of Energy

Jacob was full of energy this morning...as usual! As I stood in the kitchen washing the never-ending sink full of dishes, he played with his toys the entire time. Lately, he's been driving his John Deere tractor around the house saying he's going home. "I divin'!" he'll announce, "Bye!" Then, when he gets to a certain spot, he'll say, "I home!" Sometimes, he'll even say " I wuh you (I love you)" as he's driving off. How sweet! Usually he will have grabbed a toy or blanket to accompany him on the ride. He rode around on that thing for what seemed like forever this morning.

Something else he's started doing is calling me by my first name -- especially when he gets really excited about something. "Nook! Pah-wuh! A Pee-ig! (Look! Paula! A pig!)" I heard that a lot this morning. Every time he found a new toy to play with, he wanted me to come see. If I look at him and say, "Who am I?", he'll say, "Mama," but "Pah-wuh" just slips out every now and then. He used to hear Katie say it and since that's what Heath calls me, I guess Jacob figures he can call me Paula too. He does like to repeat EVERYTHING people say!





Taking pictures of this little bundle of energy gets harder and harder. He's so interested in the camera. As soon as I pull it out, he wants to see Jacob. He knows he can look at pictures of himself on the camera, but he doesn't understand, in order to see pictures, we have to take them first! Here's a quick example of what I'm talking about:

I was finally able to take a short video by giving Jacob a juice box first. Notice, even with the juice box, he still can't help but be interested in the camera. Also notice how fast he finishes the juice box. When he likes something, whether it's food or drink, it's gone within seconds!

Baby Update: I went to the doctor yesterday and everything is as it should be. She told me I'm still right on track for my November 12 due date. No, Heath and I still haven't chosen a name. Well, maybe I should re-phrase that: Heath and I haven't been able to agree on a name yet. I think we've both chosen what we think is the perfect name. The problem is, he has his perfect name and I have mine. And so the battle rages on..... a friendly battle of course. :) I'm certain we'll agree at some point. I mean, neither of us wants our child's name to be Baby X.

I'm still trying to figure out what life will be like with two children. I know Jacob will really enjoy having a playmate around. He likes to play independently, but I think he would rather have someone to play with. Of course, the baby won't be doing much playing in the beginning, but it will be interesting to see them grow up together.

I did have sort of a meltdown the other day just thinking of dealing with two children. I was in the post office. I loathe the post office! I never go there for anything and now I remember why. It's so much easier and less stressful to mail everything from the UPS store, but if you want to buy pretty stamps, you have to buy them from the post office. Anyway......when I walked in, the line wasn't too long, so I stood there waiting patiently. Even though I was being patient, I could tell Jacob's patience was wearing thin. To make a long story short, we ended up spending a very long time in line since we had to get out of line, then get in line again...a much longer line. As we stood in line for the second time, Jacob threw the temper tantrum of all temper tantrums. When I finally got up to the counter to mail my package, Jacob was at my feet, screaming and rolling around on the floor. After losing it with the USPS worker, I grabbed Jacob and walked out as fast as I could. I noticed everyone in line was staring at me with looks of horror. I was just as horrified as they were, believe me! We weren't in the car for 2 minutes before Jacob went to sleep. I know he was just tired, but that was such an embarrassing situation. I cried all the way home. Then, I cried more as I wondered what I will do when I have a baby crying and Jacob throwing a fit all at the same time. God, please give me the strength!

I've since spoken to several people about that little incident and it helps to know I'm not the only one who's been through something like that. Every mother has her own version of that story and every mother has had a meltdown (or several) at some point. All I can say is, at least those moments don't occur on a daily basis! :)

No comments: