Monday, September 8, 2008

Bye-Bye Fat Rolls!

While in the waiting room at the doctor's office the other day, I found myself in the middle of a conversation about pregnancy. One girl was whining and complaining about how much she hated being pregnant, while the other sat quietly and kept interjecting, "Well...yeah, but it isn't THAT bad." I agreed with her. I admit, pregnancy does have its ups and downs, but the positives outweigh the negatives...at least they do in the end.

Some of the downs? Feeling sick all the time for the first three or four......or five months. I know some people who have been sick the entire 40 weeks. Yuck. This time, I was sick for about five months. Thank goodness, it has finally tapered off. I've only gotten sick twice in the past month or so. Based on other experiences I've heard, I really can't complain.

Another downside? Trouble sleeping and feeling uncomfortable. But, pillows help...lots and lots of pillows.

Weight gain is one side of pregnancy most people do not look forward to...me included. But I've decided there are even a few postives about this. For instance, this is the second time in my life (since this is my second pregnancy) that I have had a firm stomach. Bye-bye fat rolls! Granted, my stomach protrudes from my body like an overinflated basketball, but it is firm. AND...all the flab and fat rolls have disappeared (at least for a little while)!! Even if I slouch or sit slumped over (that's kinda hard to do since sitting that way seems to cut off my air supply), there is not a fat roll to be seen. Just a very large tummy.

I also see pregnancy as my one chance to eat what I want to. Lately, I have had some serious cravings for cheesecake and have not held back one bit. Ok, so maybe that's not really a good thing, but cheesecake sure is tasty. Of course, I am quite certain my sweet-tooth has contributed to my quick weight gain over the past two weeks, but hey....I still don't have any fat rolls!

Probably the most obvious postive aspect of being pregnant is that God is growing and developing a new little life inside your body. That in itself is amazing. Just being able to feel that little baby flipping and kicking around is incredible...and sometimes a bit uncomfortable...but still incredible.

So while I've met some people who love being pregnant and others who loathe it, I think it's important to remember there is an upside to everything and in the end, the whole experience will be well worth it. One look at Jacob proves that!

Jacob loves playing with garage sale stickers and especially loves to put them on his nose. I have no idea why. He'll pull a sheet out of the desk drawer, walk off, then come back with his nose covered in stickers saying, "Nose...nose...nose."

No comments: