Thursday, August 20, 2009

Wake Up!!!!

When my sister was Jacob's age, one of her favorite movies was Walt Disney's Lady and the Tramp. As soon as my parents put the tape in the VCR, she would curl up on the couch or on the floor with a pillow and wait anxiously for the movie to begin. Little did she know, letting her watch that movie was just a way to get her to rest and take a nap. She loved watching those dogs, but something about them made her fall asleep. Once the movie started, she was usually out within a few minutes. BUT....there was one particular part of the movie she could never sleep through -- the singing siamese cats. Remember? "We are Si-a-mese if you ple-ease....."

To look at her, you would think JoBeth was in the deepest sleep one could possibly achieve, but, as soon as those cats started singing and dancing, JoBeth was up dancing right along with them. It was the funniest thing. To this day, every time I see that part of the movie, I think of little JoBeth "sleep dancing" with those cats.

I thought of this the other day as we were in the car on our way to...can you guess?.....Publix. It was Jacob's naptime, but I had to go to the store or else we would all starve to death. It takes about five minutes to get to Publix. When Jacob is tired, five minutes is all he needs to fall asleep. Actually, 30 seconds is probably more accurate. Anyway....if Jacob falls asleep and has to be woken up to go somewhere, do something, etc... take it from me...it is NOT a good thing. It doesn't matter if he's been asleep for two minutes or two hours. If you wake him up, he is never a happy camper. For this reason, I did not want him to fall asleep in the car on the way to the store. I looked back at him in the rearview mirror and saw him start to nod off. His eyes were closed. I panicked. I quickly turned on the Boomerang Express CD from VBS. As soon as he heard that didgeridoo, he opened his eyes, bobbed his head back and forth, and threw his hands up in the air to dance. I started laughing and Jacob started singing. Whew...that was a close one! He danced and sang all the way to the store.

To Jacob, the Boomerang Express theme song is like JoBeth's singing siamese cats. Good to know. I guess I'll have to keep that CD in the car after all.

No comments: