Friday, September 4, 2009

It's Oh So Quiet

Naptime -- oh, how I love naptime. It seems I can never get Jacob and Annabelle on the same nap schedule, but on rare occasions, like today, their naps overlap. **insert Hallelujah chorus here** Don't get me wrong. I love my children. I love playing games with them and being silly. I love singing songs with them and pretending to be in a band. I love hearing them laugh and seeing those fantastic big grins. But as much as I love them, it's nice to get a break every once in a while.

Ever since Annabelle became mobile, both she and Jacob wake up in battle mode. Annabelle loves to play with Jacob's toys. Jacob, however, is not on board with this idea. He was getting a little rough with her every time she grabbed one of his toys (i.e. pushing her down, pulling her across the carpet, etc...), so we told him if Annabelle was getting into his toys, he should yell for either Heath or me and we would take care of it. This actually works pretty well...except, all day long, I hear, "OH NOOOOOOO! OH NOOOOOOOOOOO! ANNABALE'S GETTING MY TRAIN!!!! OH NOOOOO! OH NOOOOOOOO! ANNABALE'S GETTING MY FARM ANIMALS! SHE'S GOT MY DWUMSTICKS!!!! OH NOOOOOOO!!!!!" If anything, I am hoping this will teach him to put his toys away -- out of reach of his sister. He needs to understand that if his toys were in the toybox, Annabelle wouldn't be able to eat...errr...get them.

Despite the fact that she knows she isn't supposed to eat or play with Jacob's toys, Annabelle is very passionate about her quest to do so. She just can't help herself. If she sees those farm animals or a few puzzle pieces lying on the floor, she goes after them at warp speed. Annabelle is one determined little baby. I can't really confine her to the pack 'n play anymore unless I want to hear her scream the entire time. She wants to be free to crawl around -- to explore. I put her down on the floor and so begins the brother / sister toy war. (ummm...did I just write a poem?)

So, when they take a nap together, I love it. I love the peace and quiet....uh-oh, I hear little footsteps....if only for a few short moments.

No comments: