Monday, February 8, 2010

Funny Stuff

Good Morning! I hope everyone has come prepared for this week's discussion on Pat the Bunny. You all have read the book, haven't you? Good. Now tell me, Annabelle, did you enjoy the book? What did you think of the main characters, Paul and Judy? Were they interesting enough for you? Jack, were you really able to smell the flowers with Paul? Tell me...did the bunny have soft fur? What were your thoughts on Daddy's scratchy face? And Jacob, give me your opionion on the ending. Did you feel like Paul and Judy were actually saying "Bye-Bye" directly to you? Did you wave to them, just as they were waving to you?

Welcome to the Baby Book Club. Ok...so we really don't have in depth discussions about Pat the Bunny, but we do have storytime. For the most part, all three children will sit (relatively) still through at least one book. The big favorite is a baby picture book entitled, Splash. It's all about water and bathtime fun. Annabelle and Jack LOVE this book. I think they mostly enjoy looking at the pictures of babies. For Jacob, it is a bit babyish, but he knows it by heart and can actually "read" it to them himself. Annabelle particularly likes the part about bubbles. "Buh-puh," she says, then wants you to read that line over again...and again...and again...and again.

Sometimes Annabelle gets a little bored with books. When the boredom sets in, she gets out of her chair and dances for us. It makes for a nice intermission. Very entertaining. I can tell, Jack can't wait to get up and dance with her someday. Soon enough, Jack, you'll be able to dance too. Don't worry. I know he's already got some great moves stored in his head because he watches Jacob and Annabelle break it down everyday. :) After all, my children are professional dancers...or so they think.

When Jack gets bored with someone else's book choice (mainly, Jacob), he usually sits quietly in his little Bumbo seat, chewing on his bib or focusing intently on pulling off his socks. Other times, he's just working on a great, big spit-up.

Jacob gets a little upset at times because I won't read his selection. Unfortunately, Jacob, I don't think Jack and Annabelle are quite ready for The Giving Tree.

Side note: See those chairs Annabelle and Jacob are sitting in? They are not just chairs. They are so much more. Everyday, they become something new -- boats, mountains, houses, forts, rivers, baby beds, stairs, etc... Who knew?

_____________________________________

Jacob has been back at it again -- cracking me up with his imaginative conversations. (Not that he ever stopped.) Some of the most recent:

Last night, Heath had just made a pot of coffee when I found Jacob in the kitchen and told him it was time to take a bath. Jacob replied, "I want to take a bath in hot coffee!!" What????? All we could do was laugh.

The other day, he was evangelizing the Imagination Movers. Jacob pretended all of the Movers came to our house to be in his band and he told me, "I'm telling Mover Smitty all about the Lord Jesus. Mover Smitty, Jesus lives in our hearts."

We visited Heath's parents over the weekend and as soon as we pulled up in the driveway, out of the blue, Jacob said, "Grandma calls pants, britches." What made him think of that all of a sudden???

A few weeks ago, my sister (ok, maybe I had a hand in it too) taught him that Pants on the Ground song that the old guy wrote and sang on American Idol. Jacob never really sang it and I have to admit, I was a little relieved, as was Heath. Heath was just waiting to hear his Sunday School teacher tell us Jacob had been singing something about his pants being on the ground. Like I said, he never really sang it...until last night...completely out of the blue.

The words of the song are actually: Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. You look like a fool with your pants on the ground; however, as you heard, Jacob created his own version by changing the word "fool" to "Pooh." Not exactly sure what that means. I'm not sure Jacob knows what it means either. For those of you who are not familiar with these lyrics, an older gentleman showed up to the American Idol try-outs and sang this song he had written. He wrote the song as a message to the younger generation of men telling them to pull up their pants and stop wearing them so low -- You look like a fool with your pants on the ground. Anyway.....I guess Jacob will be another singer for his cause. Ummmmmm....does this make me parent of the year or what?

Everyone asks me if Annabelle is saying any new words. She has a few:

Bubble: "buh-puh"

Peek-a-boo: "boof"

Ball: "bah"

Papa: "pah-puh" or sometimes "buh-puh" Papa and bubble sound just alike.

Duck: "guck"

Cracker: "cack-ah" also sounds like "quack-quack"

She uses the sound "dih" or "buh" for everything else.

I can tell she understands a lot more now. She'll follow through with simple commands. If you ask her to do something, she'll do it. My favorite thing to do is to ask her where a certain toy is. She will wander through the house until she finds it and brings it back to me -- so cute! The only problem with her following commands is that she also follows Jacob's commands: "Annabale, stand up in your high chair," or "Annabale, stand up in the bathtub." Ugh. It's already beginning. He is going to get her into so much trouble...or it could be the other way around. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: