Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Just Around the Corner

It's getting closer. In fact, for many kids, it has already begun: school. The crossing guards are back at work. The unmistakable sound of school buses can be heard in the wee hours of the morning. Teachers are decorating classrooms and preparing lesson plans. Kids are sporting new clothes, shoes, backpacks and lunchboxes. Some of those kids are excited. Some are nervous. Some are scared. And some are...all of the above -- especially the kids who are going to school for the first time.

Do you remember your first day of school? I can't say that I remember mine. I can visualize bits and pieces of my preschool experience. I remember my kindergarten class and my kindergarten teacher; but, I just can't remember that first day. My parents have pictures of my first day as a kindergartener. I was wearing a navy blue dress and I had a lunchbox in my hands. I looked excited. I'm sure I was.

Jacob just turned five years old. He is about to be a kindergartener. He knows he'll be in kindergarten and he's quite proud of this fact. He's excited. I'm excited. I still can't believe he's five.

On Monday, I viewed about a million "first day of school" pictures which friends had posted online of their children entering kindergarten, first grade, ninth grade, etc... On Tuesday, I was bombarded with even more photos. I loved seeing them -- so cute! Everyone had first day jitters -- parents and children alike. As I looked at photo after photo and read about all the first day experiences, a small part of me wondered if, by choosing to homeschool, I was depriving my child. I realize many people would tell me I am. I mean, the first day of school is special...as are the days after. Don't children need that classroom experience? Don't they need to feel independent? Don't they need to learn to function without you being there every second? I know Jacob would absolutely love going to school. He would love the classroom atmosphere and he would love being around a group of kids his age. I know that. BUT...the more I thought about sending him to school, the more I heard God telling me that I am doing the right thing...for Jacob.

Please don't get me wrong. I am, by no means, saying that sending your child to school is wrong. I just feel strongly that God wants me to homeschool right now. And I've said before (several times) this is definitely a God thing, because I never EVER thought I would be homeschooling. I did (and obviously still do) have those visions of Jacob's first day of school in my head. What would it be like? Where would he be going? Would I cry the whole day (and the week prior)? Would he cry? Would he get in trouble for talking too much? Would he like his teacher? Would I like his teacher?

As I prepare for this school year, and see all the things Jacob is going to be learning, it makes me happy. I am definitely full of anticipation. I am ready to begin. Last year was my trial run with homeschooling -- more like an adventure. This year, I have a better idea of what to expect...from me and from him...and from a certain two year old little sister. It feels good to have a little experience. I still see it as an adventure because this year will be different than the last. I am a bit nervous, but not nearly as overwhelmed as I was last year at this time.

We're still using the Classical Conversations curriculum. We actually attended orientation a couple nights ago. Since Jacob just turned five, he will have the same tutor as last year. We couldn't be more thrilled. Jacob and I both LOVE Mrs. Wilkinson! She is amazing! Jacob will attend his CC class every Tuesday with a new group of kids. Most of the kids he was with last year are moving up to first grade. Through CC, Jacob will be focusing on American history this year. He'll work toward memorizing the U.S. states and capitals, as well as mountain ranges, rivers, deserts, and other features. He'll also be memorizing John 1:1-7 in English and Latin. That should be interesting! Science is focused on the human body for the first 12 weeks, then more on chemistry for the next 12. We're sticking with Math-U-See for math and I've chosen Stuart Little by E.B. White for Jacob to begin reading. I know he's gonna love it. :) It's going to be a busy year!!

So, Jacob's first day of kindergarten will be on Monday. He can't wait. We won't be driving to his school. I won't have to prepare his lunch at 6:30 AM. He doesn't have to ride a bus to get there. I won't have to drop him off anywhere and worry the rest of the day. (Although, I may cry just a little because I still can't believe he's in kindergarten.) I won't have to sit in a car line for 30 minutes at the end of the day to pick him up. I won't have to ask him a bazillion questions about his day. We won't be doing any of those things. But do you know what? Even without those things, our day will still be special. Jacob will wake up Monday morning, get dressed, eat breakfast, brush his teeth and get ready for school. We'll take a few pictures and then get started. He'll know it's time for kindergarten when I ring the bell (something I started last year). He'll feel like a big boy because he is in kindergarten. Annabelle will feel like a big girl because she gets to go to school. And while I may feel a little anxious, I'll also have a sense of peace, knowing I am doing what God has called me to do.

Dear God, please help me to be the parent and the teacher you want me to be. Help me to instill Christian values in the minds of my children. For you tell us in your word, "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) I am asking for your guidance and direction and I pray that everything I say and do would lead my children closer to you. Amen.

2 comments:

Monica Wilkinson said...

Great post and some of the same things I think about. Sometimes I actually feel a little bit jealous of moms who have the whole day to themselves. But, like you, I know that I am doing what God wants me to do for my family. God gave your children to you because you were the VERY BEST mom for them to have! You and Heath know what is best for them just like we do for our family. It is such a blessing to be able to be home and do this school thing together - I love that we don't have to rush out the door every morning!

As for the first day of school, we usually make it super special at home and I hope they will have happy memories of that! Plus, going to CC feels like a happy medium to me of getting that classroom feel.

Awww, thanks for being so excited - I'm super excited to have Jacob again too!!!!

See you Tuesday!

Taryn Jade said...

I think Jacob got the rapping gene from his Aunt JoBeth!