Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Mind of a Child

I have often wondered what goes through children's minds when someone tells them there is a baby in someone's tummy. Yesterday, I found out.

Scene: Jacob was napping. Katie and I were sitting on the couch looking up names in a baby name book. She had just blindly chosen "Edwina" as the perfect name for our baby. (Katie, I'm not sure about that one). I noticed she was looking at my stomach.

ME: My tummy is getting big isn't it?
KATIE: Yeah.
ME: Do you know why it's getting so big?
KATIE: Why?
ME: There is a baby growing in there.
KATIE: (very puzzled) Oh. (long pause) Did you eat it?
ME: No. I didn't eat it!
KATIE: Oh. (long pause) You just feel it?
ME: Yeah, I can feel it.

Jacob isn't old enough to understand the whole baby thing yet. But, I imagine if he was, he'd probably be thinking the same thing!

No comments: