Monday, August 25, 2008

Can We Go See The Doctor Again, Mom?

We all have talents, some greater than others. I am convinced one of Jacob's greatest talents is sniffing out a cold and catching it. I have to hand it to him....he is very good at that.

Jacob's pediatrician just moved into a new office and it seems we love it so much we can't stay away! Right before his birthday, Jacob came down with a cold which developed into an ear infection, so that was our last visit in the old office. Then he had his 2-year well visit / ear check a couple weeks later. Today, we were back in for a third visit with ANOTHER ear infection, only this time, he has a double ear infection. Yuck! As if we haven't seen enough of the doctor's office lately, we get to make another trip in three weeks to make sure the infection is gone.

Doctor visits really wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the wait. Jacob has actually always done well when we see the pediatrician. He sits very still, watching and staring intently at everything the doctor does. He's cooperative and a perfect angel. Our time in the waiting room, however, is entirely different.

The appointment was set for 10:50 AM, so we walked into the office at exactly 10:25 (five minutes early...yay for me!) Jacob walked through the door all by himself feeling very confident and looking pretty cute in his overalls and baseball cap. In fact, all the girls behind the counter looked up and said, "Awwwww.....how cute!" Being a proud mom, I smiled and thought to myself, "Yes, yes....I know." Well, their reactions soon changed after we had been waiting for a while. He was climbing all over the chairs, running around the room while shouting, "Muuuuuuunnnnnn.....muuuuuuuunnnnnn! (Run, Run!)" and the screaming began when I tried to keep him still by holding him in my lap. Thank goodness he finally settled down and played with one of the office toys. I used to cringe whenever he touched toys at the doctor's office. I mean, you never know what kinds of germs and nastiness he could pick up from playing with those things. I must admit, I still do cringe a little, but if he's happy and quiet, I can deal with it. I just keep the Purell bottle close at hand.


When the nurse finally came out and called "Jacob," he was right in the middle of a temper tantrum because I took the Purell away from him. Lovely. He refused to walk in, so I picked him up. As soon as he realized he had to step on the scale, he was fine. He loves to step on the scale now. Then, the nurse showed us to a room and the fun was over. Time for another long wait. We resorted to playing ring around the rosies, which lasted for a few minutes...until Mommy got tired and needed to sit down (I had just come from StrollerFit, so I was already a little tired). I couldn't have been happier when the doctor finally walked in. When I found out Jacob had a double ear infection, I realized why he had been acting so crazy. Ear infections combined with the "terrible twos" are not a good thing...believe me. I don't know the total length of time we actually waited in the office today, but I do know it was 12:09 PM whenever we got back in the car. I was definitely ready to get home....after a trip to the pharmacy to pick up medicine.


My Little Singer
While we were in the car, a song by Brandon Heath came on the radio. I don't know the name of it, but it went something like, "Love.....Love.....Love.....Nothing but the Blood of Jesus." All of a sudden, I hear a little voice in the backseat singing, "Laaaaaaa.....Laaaaaaaaa.....Laaaaaaaaa.....Shoo-sus" echoing the words in the song. It was so sweet. He says "Jesus" almost the same way he says pizza (shoo-sha). I think that's ok. God knows what he means. :)


Chocolate? What Chocolate?
Another of Jacob's favorite things to do is swipe items from the refrigerator door whenever someone opens it. Usually it's mustard or barbecue sauce. (He's always had an affinity for the color yellow.) This time, he nabbed the chocolate syrup before I even realized it. When I confronted him, he denied the allegations, but the proof was on his nose.

No comments: