Monday, April 6, 2009

Cooper River Bridge Run 2009

The Cooper River Bridge Run is always fun. No matter the weather -- rainy, windy, hot and humid, or absolutely perfect, you can count on having a good time. I try to participate every year. I missed it last year because I was feeling really sick due to a little peanut we now call Annabelle. :) Every year I tell myself, “Next year, I’m gonna run it.” Then, next year comes and I end up walking it again. That’s ok. It’s still fun. Whether you walk or run, it’s still a good time. Actually, I imagine it’s probably more fun walking than running. This year, we decided to push the stroller and take Jacob and Annabelle along. It was Heath’s first time participating as a walker. He admitted that he felt a little lame at first because he usually runs the race, but said it was a lot more fun walking – you can actually have a conversation and enjoy the scenery. It was a gorgeous day and we all had a great time.
Ready to race!

My Aunt loves me!


Asleep before we even made it to the starting line.

And we're off! Jacob woke up soon after we got going.


Look up!

Jacob is waving at the Chic-Fil-A cow. Hi Cow!

Mmmmm...a celebratory apple.



Break it down! (You can't tell from this picture, but Jacob was dancing with the cow.) He hasn't stopped talking about how he danced with the cow!


Thoughts on waiting in lines......
We are a society of technology addicted multi-taskers. When we got to Charleston Friday, we first went to have Jacob’s and Annabelle’s pictures taken, so we didn’t get to pick up our race packets until around 7:00 PM. When we got there, the packet pick-up line was wrapped around the block (no, I am not exaggerating). I waited approximately two hours to pick up our race numbers and T-shirts. While I stood in line, I did a little people watching and here’s what I saw: Everyone was on the phone, either talking or texting. One guy was watching a TV show on his iPhone. The couple behind me had just arrived from Atlanta and they were actually talking to each other…and me – no phones. But then, the wife asked her husband to walk to Starbucks for a cappuccino run. As soon as he left, out came the phone. Then when he came back, he grabbed his phone to check the race day weather forecast. The girl in front of me was a speed texter. I couldn’t believe how fast she was sending and answering messages. I am envious. It seems like it takes me forever to text any message, short or long. Maybe if my phone had a full keyboard….?????? Since everyone else was on their phones, I decided to join in. Why not? What else could I do standing in line for two hours? Heath was wandering around the grounds trying to keep Annabelle and Jacob happy.

Once we made it inside the building, everyone had to look up their name to find their race number. The names were in small print and were posted on several bulletin boards – all 38,600+ of them. I kept hearing comments like, “I can’t even read this,” and “Ma’am, can you please tell me what this number is? I didn’t bring my glasses.” The next problem…nobody had pens and nobody had paper to write their numbers down. No worries. Who needs paper when you have a cell phone? We all either entered our numbers into our phone or took a picture. But in order to do so, phone conversations were cut short, TV shows were paused and internet surfing was put on hold. As soon as everyone found their numbers, it was back to business – more talking, texting and TV watching. We were in line together, but each of us was involved in our own separate world. We stood in that line for two solid hours. Just think of how much we could have learned about each other during that time if we didn’t have cell phones as a distraction!

No comments: