Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Drama Queen? Me? Never.


When I was little, I couldn't stand the fact that I had lines in my socks. You know...that seam across the toe? I hated it. My parents will gladly tell you stories about the horrible fits I threw because they made me wear socks with lines. Oh, the horror. :) I also wore knee socks a lot (with shorts and sandals occasionally...don't judge....I was trying to start a fashion trend. Can I help it if it didn't take off??) and some of them were textured...with lines. I hated those too. To this day, I can't tell you what it was about those lines that I didn't like, but I sure made it known that I didn't like them. I vividly remember one particular morning when my dad was helping me get ready for church. He was trying to make me wear those awful socks and I was not having it. I refused to wear them. "But those socks have lines," I screamed. "I don't want to wear them. Nobody else wears socks with lines!" I truly thought wearing those socks would ruin my life. Then my dad said something about how all socks have lines and I had better put on those socks right now, etc., etc......

I guess I have a bit of drama queen in me. It still rears its ugly head every once in a while. And now, it seems I have passed on that trait to my daughter. It's amazing how much personality can shine through, even at five months old.

Today, Annabelle was playing with the toys attached to her bouncy seat. If a toy is suspended on a bar above her head and she can't get that toy into her mouth, she gets very frustrated. Toys just within her reach aren't good enough. They must be within reach of her mouth. I saw her struggling with one, so I thought I would help her out. I reached down and took the toy off the bar so she could get it to her mouth. The second I touched that toy, her face turned red and she started screaming. She did not like me touching that toy. If her screams could be translated into words, I imagine this is what I would have heard: "Can you believe my mother????? She has the nerve to touch MY toy! And now she has taken it off the bar where it belongs!!! This is the worst day of my life!!!!!!!!!!" After a few seconds of trying to get her to play with the toy, I gave up and put it back on the bar, so it was again, suspended above her head. She stopped crying instantly. Boy, I wonder what she'll be like when she gets a little older. People always say, "One day, you're gonna have a child just like you. Just wait." Oh boy. Does anyone know where I can buy socks without lines?

1 comment:

Fran said...

Yes, I've been told the same - you'll have a child just like you... And I'm thankful that I actually do - yes we sometimes butt heads because we are both STUBBORN but the joys far outweigh the pain... And if Annabelle turns out just like you - that will be a good thing...