Saturday, June 27, 2009

Yes, I Know......Long Time, No Post

I can't believe how long it's been since my last post. I mean, Jacob is now reciting Shakespeare and Annabelle is running sprints around the house. A lot has happened over these past few weeks!
Ok...so Jacob is not quite reciting Shakespeare just yet and Annabelle has not learned to sprint, but it has been a busy time for us.
Let's start with the zoo....




We had been trying to get to the zoo for several weeks, but thunderstorms prevented us from going several weekends in a row. We checked the weather forecast a couple weekends ago and finally...only a 20 percent chance of rain! Hooray! Twenty percent sounded much better than the 85 to 90 percent chances we had seen previously. So, off to the zoo we went!

When we first arrived, we wondered if we had made a mistake. Jacob didn't seem the least bit interested in the animals. He was much more fascinated with climbing on benches and walking through the mist that was blowing out of the fans. Then came the thunder and the lightning....and of course, the rain. Hmmmm.....so much for that 80 percent chance that it WOULDN'T rain! Thankfully, during the storm, we stayed dry under a shelter beside the lion exhibit. After the storm, the day got much better. The rain stopped, the sun came out, and Jacob did like the animals after all...especially the giraffes.

I don't know where he got this fascination for giraffes, but Jacob has liked them for a while. The best part about the giraffe exhibit was the fact that the walkway was raised to their head level. So, instead of looking up at the giraffes from down below, we were looking them in the eye. Very cool. Jacob even got to feed them! He had a lot of fun with that and giggled the whole time. I have to say though, giraffes have really disgusting tongues. Yuck.

For two dollars, we were given a few branches with leaves for the giraffes to eat. Jacob didn't want me to hold him, so he fed the giraffe through the fence. A couple times, the giraffe stuck out her tongue and wrapped it around the fence to get to the leaves.


Obviously, the zoo trip was pre-haircut!


Annabelle enjoyed herself too. She was a perfect angel all day, despite the 100 degree heat. I think she only cried one time the entire day and that was only because she was so hot in the stroller and wanted to get out for a while.


I wish I had more pictures of our zoo day. I forgot to charge the camera battery the night before and after only taking a few pictures, it died. Typical me, right? Oh well. At least I have a few. :)



Besides the giraffes, Jacob also liked the giant anteater. I think he liked it because it came so close to us. He also loved petting the pygmy goats. His reaction to goats is much better than mine when I was three. I remember seeing a picture of me crying as a goat was eating my shorts or something. I guess it wasn't too traumatic. I'm not afraid of them now. :)

No comments: