Thursday, March 25, 2010

But I Was Only Trying to Help

Well, we've made it through the rest of the week. Can you believe it? I wasn't sure how it would turn out after Monday's turn of events. Jacob cried and whined off and on for two days because he wanted Mr. Monkey's cousin, but I never gave in. His most prized posession was returned to him last night, just before he went to bed. Jacob has had his moments since Monday, but things have been better...a little bit. He calmed down for the most part, but the time-out corner is still on his list of most frequently visited places. People keep telling me things will get better...eventually. That is definitely encouraging. :)

Earlier this week, after the horrible day, there was an incident for which I could not punish him. Heath was at Lowe's, buying a replacement bulb for our bathroom. He called and asked me to check the wattage to make sure he was buying the correct one. I climbed up onto the counter, removed the burnt out bulb and walked over to the computer desk in another part of the house. Jacob and Annabelle had followed me into the bathroom and they followed me out...or so I thought.

Jacob was in the living room, but while I was on the phone with Heath, Annabelle walked over to me and handed me a little piece of toilet paper. I turned around and saw a trail of toilet paper which Annabelle had unrolled and pulled through our room, the living room, the foyer, and the dining room. We're talking half of a roll of toilet paper here. As I noticed the toilet paper, I also noticed an unpleasant aroma. Annabelle needed a clean diaper, so I decided to change her before I picked up her paper trail. While I was changing her diaper, Jacob came in the room with a huge pile of toilet paper. He had picked it all up and was going to dispose of it for me. "Thank you," I said. "Please throw it in the trash can." He said, "Ok" and ran off. After Annabelle was taken care of, I looked for Jacob and found him in the bathroom standing over the toilet with the toilet brush. "I'm trying to push it down, but it just won't go.....I'm trying to push it down." He decided the toilet paper need to be flushed rather than thrown away. After all, it was toilet paper. Of course, the toilet was clogged. But I couldn't really get mad at him. He was only trying to help; however, I did tell him to throw it in the trash can, not flush it.

A few more Jacob moments:
One day last week while we were eating lunch, Jacob made me laugh so hard. I don't remember what we were talking about, but all of a sudden he said, "Yeah, that's how we do it!" I realize that statement may not seem very funny, but it was the way he said it that made me laugh. It also made me think of that 90's Montell Jordan song...you know the one I'm talking about. So, I started singing that and had a serious laughing attack. All the while Jacob kept asking, "Mommy, what are you laughing for? WHAT ARE YOU LAUGHING FOR???"

We were listening to a childrens' radio channel a couple weeks ago when a kids version of Twist and Shout came on. Jacob and Annabelle were dancing and singing to the music when Jacob grabbed his sister, shook her a little (she giggled) and said, "shakin a baby now!" Obviously, he misinterpreted the lyrics. Jacob, I believe the correct words are "shake it up baby now."

Spaghetti was on the dinner menu for the Duncans last week and I had bought some of that sprinkly parmesan cheese. Jacob asked if he could have some.
Jacob: "Can I please may I have some pwapa john cheese?"
Me: "What?"
Jacob: "I want some pwapa john cheese."
Me: "Papa John cheese?" (starting to laugh)
Jacob: "No...not Papa John cheese....PWAPA JOHN cheese!"

Heath let Jacob listen to the Imagination Movers on his ipod the other day and Jacob was so excited to use the earphones. I was in another room when I heard Jacob say, "Can I go show Mommy how cool I look?!?!?!" Wow, Jacob. You were cool already, but with those earphones and that ipod, your coolness factor just jumped off the charts!


Wanna listen Anna-bay-uhl?



As much as he beats up on her, Jacob does love his sister and the sweet moments seem to happen almost as often as the "others." I've mentioned before, he loves to share food with her...even the good stuff. I couldn't believe it, but he was more than willing to share his ice cream. I don't think I even asked him to share. He did it all on his own.



No comments: