Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Woo Hoo! The big 2 - 0!!!

These boots were made for walkin'......

G-L-A-M-O-R-O-U-S

Well, she finally made it! Annabelle now weighs enough to face forward in the car! Hooray! I could hardly believe my eyes as I saw the number "2" pop up on the digital scale at the pediatrician's office. The numbers bounced around a while before coming to a stop at 20 pounds and 3 ounces. I cheered and Jacob, Annabelle, and I had a brief celebration to commemorate this long awaited weight gain. So long, baby car seat!
The reason we were at the doctor's office wasn't so thrilling. Annabelle had been up much of the night crying and screaming, so we knew something wasn't right. She had a cold (still does) and I feared an ear infection had also set in. I was right. Then, on top of the cold and the ear infection, she developed a rash as a result of the vaccines she received the week before. She is one pitiful baby right now.

Of course, when one child gets sick, so does the other. Jacob has a cold too. It seems our family can only go about two and a half weeks before one of us comes down with something. Ugh. Come on spring! I'm praying for a nice, healthy spring with NO ALLERGIES!!! Is this possible?


One teaspoon of Benadryl + a little green chair = an unexpected morning nap.

Back to our doctor visit.....For some strange reason, Jacob loves phone books. He will spend an hour+ looking through the yellow pages, the white pages, and everything in between. I now keep a phone book in the car, so we'll have one available to him at all times. It has definitely come in handy at the doctor's office. It is the only thing I have found that keeps him from running wild through the building. The doctors and nurses crack up every time they see him walk through the door with his phone book. Then, they laugh even more as he thumbs through the pages and tells them about certain restaurants and places he has or hasn't visited. He recognizes logos very well. For instance, one day, while flipping though the yellow pages, he found an ad for First Federal. He said, "Hey, that place has an elevator!" He was right. When I was pregnant with Annabelle, Heath usually met me at the doctor's office, which was in the First Federal building. While there, he and Jacob usually rode the elevator up and down a couple times. Jacob does enjoy a good elevator ride. :)

So, after charming everyone at the pediatrician's office with his adorable smile and vast knowledge of the phone book, Jacob took it a step further and doted on his sister a little. When we walked up to the checkout counter, the lady looked at Jacob and said, "Oh my goodness. Aren't you cute!!" Jacob pointed at Annabelle and said, "She is a sweet one." The lady looked at me. "Awww! Did he say that about you?" "No," I said. "He's talking about his sister." Jacob chimed in with, "She's a little sweetie pie." Of course, everyone just oooohed and aahhed over that one. "Awwwwww, do you love your sister?" they asked. "Yes. I love her," Jacob replied. Then, they gave him a sticker. I'm sure Annabelle was thinking, "What is going on here? I am the one with the ear infection and HE gets the sticker???? NOT FAIR!!!" Oh well.

Jacob has actually publicly expressed his love for his sister several times lately. It is sweet to hear him say such nice things, but when we get home, the love fest comes to an abrupt halt as he pushes her to the floor when she grabs one of his toys. Aaahhhh. I guess this is what brotherly / sisterly love is all about, huh?
They had another sweet moment yesterday. We had a tiny bit of potato salad left and, much to my surprise, Jacob wanted it for a snack. I gave him the container and a spoon and told him he could have the rest. As soon as he situated himself on the kitchen floor, Annabelle toddled over to join him. He shared his potato salad with her, feeding her with his spoon. There they were, sitting side by side on the kitchen floor, passing their cold germs back and forth on a spoon; but, it was just so cute, I couldn't stop them.

No comments: